7169 N. Main Street
PO Box 410
Ovid, NY 14521 Phone: (607) 869-3031
The Edith B. Ford Memorial Library provides access to information and programs to inspire lifelong learning for the cultural, educational, and professional enrichment of our community. The Local History Archives Room holds a special collection of local history materials including: books, photographs, newspapers, and collections pertaining to local families, important industries and institutions.
The library was founded in 1899, and granted the Charter from the University of the State of New York in December 1899 as the Ovid Free Library. The library was first located in the home of James French, which also served as the office of the Ovid Gazette and Independent. In 1905 the library moved into the Seneca County Clerk’s Office or Mama Bear. In 1961, Dr. Walter B. Ford, a renowned mathematician, educator, and author donated money to build a library in honor of his late wife and educator, Edith Banker Ford. In 1962, the library was moved into its new building designed by John C. Ehrlich of Geneva. In October 1962, the Absolute Charter was amended and the name was changed to the Edith B. Ford Memorial Library of Ovid, New York.
Edith B. Ford Memorial Library is a member of the South Central Regional Library Council.