The Long Beach Public Library opened to the public on October 13, 1928 and had its first site at 124 West Park Street.
In the first two years the Library was open, there were more than 2000 people registered for library cards. After many years the Library needed more room as the population of Long Beach increased. The Library located at 111 West Park Avenue opened on March 5, 1956. In 1997, the current Library underwent a major renovation with a new attached building with three floors. The Library Grand Re-Opening date was Sunday September 28, 1998.
Long Beach Public Library is a member of the Long Island Library Resources Council.