The area that would form the Town of Nelson was acquired by New York State following treaties with the Oneida and Tuscarora tribes following the American Revolutionary War. The town was established in 1807, from a portion of the town of Cazenovia, and named after an English naval hero, Horatio Nelson. Erieville is a small hamlet located in the southern portion of the town of Nelson, near Tuscarora Lake. Tuscarora Lake, also known as Erieville Reservoir, was constructed to serve as a feeder for the Erie Canal.
Scope of Collection
The Erieville-Nelson Historic collection contains photographs that share the history of the Erieville and Nelson areas. Photographs include images of landmarks, people, and structures during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.